Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Feeling Fab at 40


"Welcome to the first Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (March). To celebrate National Women's Month, our participants share how breastfeeding has changed them as a woman. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants."


I have a friend, no let me correct that.  I have two best friends who have been with me since the day I was born.  These buddies of mine have never left my side (somewhat), not even for a second.  How can they?  They’re literally stuck to my chest! LOL  Is it scandalous to declare over the world wide web that I love my boobs?  But I really do!  Trust me.


Now I have to admit that I was not as proud of them then, as I am today.  Back when my high school classmates started morphing into shapely teeners, my hormones decided to take an indefinite leave of absence.  So, while all of them started progressing from training bras to cup A’s and B’s… I was holding an empty cup (A).  Laugh if you will but I’m sure you know what I’m talking about here.

Needless to say I had no choice but to live with what has been given to me – emphasis on the fact that I had no choice, please.  Life then beacons me to move on and grow up.  And grow up I did (sans the height and the “future” – as many Filipinos like to refer to it). 

Fast forward to present times, now that I am a wife and a mother, things have changed significantly.  Last time I checked I know sport a Cup C nursing bra!  Now isn’t that splendid news?  What was once an insignificant part of my body, my breasts are now the most important and valuable body part I have as far as my babies are concerned.  And that is putting aside the visual side of things. Hip hip hooray for breastfeeding!

I’m no longer self conscious about my two “friends”.  I don’t exactly care about their size, I’m just proud that these are not only aesthetics but functional parts as well. And neither am I self conscious about breastfeeding.  While some would hesitate to nurse their babies in public for fear of indecent exposures or perhaps at the risk of offending some others – I personally could not care less.  I allow my children to feed anywhere and anytime they want (isn’t that what breastfeeding clothes and covers are for?). 

It’s a good thing that even after being unappreciated for all these years, they’ve remained loyal to me and my kids.  It’s been almost 3 years and my breasts have not failed me yet – not even once!  And I doubt if I ever will.  Now that’s what I call a real friend. 

I believe that I would not be the mother that I am, had I decided to give my kids formula milk.  I love the fact that my babies need me – and me alone.  I love it that they have to snuggle up to me at night even if it means I wont be able to sleep in a comfortable position.  So what?  Time will come when my kids will be all grown up and it’ll take a lot of persuasion for me to get them to snuggle up to me or even give me a kiss.  I’d like to enjoy this piece of heaven while it lasts. 

Although breastfeeding means that I need to be extra selective with the clothes I chose to wear, and that I need to be on constant watch for leaky breasts – these are all but small discomforts against a lifetime of health benefits for my kids.

Do I regret my choice to breastfeed?  Not a single bit.  I am the woman that I am now – proud and confident, because my breasts have made me realize what really matters in terms of becoming a woman.

PS.  Today happens to be my 40th birthday.  Just a few months before, I was extremely depressed about my weight and my appearance.  I felt that I needed a major makeover so that I could live up to the tag “Fab at 40.”  Writing this made me realize that feeling good about myself need not depend on how I look or on how much I weigh.  I know I have accomplished much in raising my kids and I have everything there is to be happy about – a good husband, wonderful children, dependable friends and a supportive family.  It sounds cliché but its true -- feeling good about yourself is not dependent on how you look, physically but in knowing that you have accomplished great things with what He has blessed you with.  And yes, I’m still past my ideal weight – but I still feel Fab at 40!


Please check out other Carnival Participants at:

9 comments:

  1. happy birthday pittipat!! and you HAVE accomplished great things :D small boobs don't make a difference in breastfeeding success ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey happy birthday! and stick out your chest (hehe) and stand proud to be a breastfeeding mom :)

    -ree

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday! :) I feel the same with the boobs, but regardless our boobs make the best baby food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! =)

    I've always been excited to be 40. When I was a kid, I wondered what "Life begins at 40" meant! So congratulations on your new beginning!

    Like you, I also don't care what people think when I breastfeed. I don't even have special breastfeeding clothes. I just unbutton, unzip, pull up, pull down whatever I'm wearing. I don't care if my boob gets exposed in the process =D I'm feeding my kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A blessed happy birthday to you Mommy Pittipat! :-) I really like the name of your blog, and the reason behind it. We are all indeed created in God's image, and for moms like us, this is even more evident whenever we see our kids! :-) God bless you in all your roles as wife, mom, friend and everything else that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday sis!!! your post made me laugh... as in!

    I used to be skinny too but weirdly enough though, I have always had cleavage and has always been ever so proud :D

    And yes, the time that our children need us, as in depend on us is soooo short. This is a privilege for us...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated Happy Birthday! I love this post! Written from the heart =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated happy birthday! :)

    I'm exactly like you.. empty cup A to "WOW CLEAVAGE!" Haha. Sexiness means I have in me my baby's food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. belated happy birthday! i know my comment will not be related to your post but anyways, i really admire your story with janina. followed it in n@w and the first time i read about it i prayed for you. God bless!

    ReplyDelete