Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Paranoia or Just Thinking Ahead?

We were at church this morning and I noticed two kids in front of us who were looking at Janina and whispering to one another.  Immediately, my mind raced ahead to what I would tell them if they said anything mean or to how I would try to teach them about being kind instead of being cruel.  I guess that's the paranoia and the stage mother in me reacting.

I realized later on that they were not saying anything cruel about her (well, at least nothing that I could hear) so I had no reason to worry.  Thank God.

I know I still am a bit far off from that time when Janina will have to mingle with classmates and schoolmates.  I dread that time when my daughter will have to experience funny stares and harsh remarks and teasing from other children.  As a mother, I can only do so much to protect her from bullies.  No matter how hard I try, there will be some things that she will have to deal with by herself.  I guess the best that I can do is to give her enough self confidence and love so that even in the face of these, she can simply shrug her shoulders and let the comments pass from one ear to another.

How do I do that?  I have no idea yet.  Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment